A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan is now available on the App Store, priced at £7.99 for the feature-packed special edition, which includes the unabridged audiobook (RRP: £22.20), the unique ‘visual navigation’ menu and a host of exclusive video, audio, visual and written content…
As the most structurally interesting, (not to mention breathtakingly good) novel of 2010, we decided that publishing a special electronic edition of the book, making use of all of the technical wizardry possible on new tablet devices and smartphones was too good an opportunity to pass up.
A Visit from the Goon Squad is a work of art; both a timeless American novel, and an audaciously interlocking collection of short stories, weaving together themes of time and memory, music, art and technology with bravura style and a symphony of unforgettable voices. We hope that the unique features of this special edition do justice to the book and provide a singular reading experience, allowing readers to approach it in new and interesting ways.
Some screenshots of the special edition of A Visit from the Goon Squad:
Some features of the special edition of A Visit from the Goon Squad:
- A ‘sentence-by-sentence’ audio sync with the highly acclaimed audiobook produced by BBC Audiobooks America
- A unique visual navigation menu that allows readers to reorder the chapters of the book
- Liner Notes – exclusive audio, video and written content for each chapter
- Exclusive chapter artwork
- Social option – share an excerpt of each chapter on your Facebook wall
The app has been developed by PopLeaf, a cracking Cambridge-based app development team who specialise in creating high-end book apps for publishers, who previously worked with Canongate to develop the iPad only Why the Net Matters by David Eagleman.